The Greek Women’s University Club is offering scholarships for female college students of Greek descent.
The Greek Women’s University Club was founded in 1931. The organizations’s mission it to promote higher education and to support a variety of endeavors in the arts, literature, and sciences within our community. Since its inception, Greek Women’s University Club has supported women of Greek descent by offering academic scholarships.
The group also hosts an annual national music competition in Chicago, which is open to young men and women of Greek descent from 20-29 years of age.
Membership is open to all women of Greek descent, and women who are related to an individual of Greek descent (i.e., though marriage), who are graduates of accredited colleges and universities.
Greek Women’s University Club is pleased to offer two (2) scholarships of $2,500 each for the 2016-17 school year. Selection of Award Recipients is made by an independent selection committee appointed by the group’s board of directors. This committee works independently and makes decisions based on the criteria set forth in the scholarship application, including: academic achievement, a written statement of academic objectives, faculty recommendations, and extracurricular activities. The semi-finalists are then invited for a personal interview. All candidates are advised of their status after each step in the process. Final notifications will be made by mid-May, 2016.
- Must be female.
- Must be either a full-time undergraduate with at least sophomore standing, or a full-time graduate student.
- Must have at least one parent who is of Greek ancestry.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be a permanent resident of the Chicago metropolitan area (100 mile radius).
- Must be available for an in-person interview at Holy Apostles Greek Orthodox Church in Westchester, IL. Skype interviews can also be arranged for applicants studying outside of the Chicago metropolitan area.
- Previous GWUC scholarship recipients are not eligible.
Email for more information and application.