It’s National Baklava Day! Who can resist a piece of baklava, and some Greek coffee? Why not make some for the holidays? Here’s a recipe to help you get your baklava on!
National Baklava Day
Well, who knew?! How awesome is that? Read on for a recipe, courtesy of Kronos Foods, to help you get your baklava on!
Today is National Baklava Day, which is apropos because the holidays are almost upon us and it’s time to pull out those family heirloom recipes. This sweet pastry, constructed of layers of delicate Fillo dough, is packed with chopped nuts and glazed with cinnamon-and-clove scented syrup.
Let’s bake some baklava!
Recipe from the Kontos Cookbook …
3 cups walnuts, shelled and finely chopped
1 cup almonds, shelled and finely chopped
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/3 cup sugar
2 pkgs. Kontos® Fillo #5 (approx. 28 pieces)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl.
3. Center one Fillo sheet in a 9×13-inch pan, and brush with butter.
4. Cover with another Fillo sheet and brush with butter. Repeat for 3 more sheets.
5. Sprinkle 4-5 tablespoons of nut mixture over Fillo layers.
6. Cover nut mixture with 2 sheets, individually buttered.
7. Repeat Steps 5 & 6 until you have 3 sheets of Fillo remaining.
8. Layer and butter last 3 sheets on top.
9. With a spatula or the back of a knife push overlapping Fillo sheets down the inside of the pan and under the buttered Fillo sheets.
10. Butter the top Fillo sheet and score. Then bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
2 cups sugar
3 cups water
Juice from 1/2 lemon
Rind of 1 lemon
3 cloves, whole
1 cinnamon stick, small
1. Dissolve sugar in water and bring to a boil for approximately 10 minutes.
2. Add lemon juice, lemon rind, cloves, and cinnamon stick and boil for an additional 20 minutes.
4. Strain and pour hot mixture over cooled Fillo and nut layers.
5. Allow syrup to soak into Fillo then cut all the way through.
COURTESY KONTOS FOODS
Latest posts by Maria A. Karamitsos (see all)
- George Behrakis: Why You Should Support Greek Education [Q&A] - February 8, 2018
- Here’s Why You Should Join a Hellenic Student Association [Q&A] - February 6, 2018
- ‘Echoes of Athens’: 1st Greek Radio Station in the Southeast Going Strong - February 1, 2018