Who can resist these traditional holiday cookies?
Here’s a recipe to try.
- 1/2 cups olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 2 level teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup brandy
- Grated orange rind
- About 3 lbs flour
- Walnuts, coarsely grated
- 1-1/2 cups honey
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- Cinnamon stick
Preheat oven to 350◦.
- Beat the olive oil and butter for several minutes. Add the sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Dissolve baking soda in the orange juice. Add to mix.
- Mix in brandy and grated orange rind.
- Add flour a little at a time, until a soft dough is formed.
- Knead the dough, and form it into ovals about 2-1/2 inches. Place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
- Place on a rack to cool.
- Boil the syrup ingredients for 5 minutes.
- When cookies are partially cooled, pour hot syrup over them. Sprinkle with walnuts and cinnamon.